white nancy

Bollington Online War Memorial

A project supported by the parish of Bollington

Those who served their country in WW1

Search for all who served in WW1, whose families had some connection with Bollington and Kerridge.

Untitled Document

Results of search: surname Stewart

Regimental Sergeant Major JAMES ALBERT STEWART 20th Service Battalion Manchester Regiment 17494 was born 14 June 1892 in Melbourne Australia, the son of James Oliver Stewart and Louisa F. (formerly Cooper? born in Birmingham). It is thought that the family moved to the UK by 1897. He lived at Lower Broughton in 1901. He worked as a clerk in a shipping office and was living with his parents at Lower Broughton in 1911. He enlisted 17 November 1914 at Manchester. He served in France and Flanders and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He was a keen sportsman, and represented the Old Salfordians Rugby Club. He married Janet and in 1939 they were living at 54 Silk Street Salford, he was a shipping clerk for cotton piece goods and she was a tripe shop keeper. He was an ARP warden in WW2. He came to live at Hedge Row, Rainow. He took a great interest in cricket, and was a regular supporter of Bollington and Pott Shrigley cricket clubs. He died in 1971 and was cremated at Macclesfield following a funeral at Pott Shrigley.

Distinguished Conduct Medal awarded...

“for conspicuous gallantry and devotion during two severe actions, when he rendered invaluable services, at great personal risk, in reorganizing a portion of a line during the intervals between enemy counter-attacks, he also shewed great powers of organizing and consummate coolness under most trying circumstances in getting small arms ammunition and rations to forward companies.”

Sons of Joseph Stewart and Fanny Merinda (formerly Audley):

Private HEDLEY STEWART 23rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers PS/4227 was born 1888 at Bollington and baptised at Pott Shrigley 17 Jun 1888. He lived at Church Street in 1891, at Beeston Mount in 1901 and was a back tenter at the print works in 1911, living with his parents at 7 Beeston Mount. He was a sidesman at St John’s and a member of the Parochial Church Council. He enlisted at Manchester, was killed in action 13 November 1916 aged 27 (probably in the second attack on Serre) and was buried at Serre Road Cemetery No2, south of Arras, France. MORE

He is commemorated on the memorials at Bollington and St Oswald’s and on the Stewart grave at St John’s [plot 1905].

He is listed among the “fallen at the post of duty” on the 1917 Roll of Honour.

The Bollington Discovery Centre Photo Archive contains pictures of him.

NORMAN AUDLEY STEWART was born 1893 at Bollington and baptised 4 October 1893 at St John’s. He lived at Beeston Mount in 1901 and was a labourer at the paper staining works in 1911, living at 7 Beeston Mount. He is named on the absent voters list for 7 Beeston Mount in 1918 - his recorded address being "YMCA (abroad)". He served with YMCA during WW1 and was awarded the British War Medal as a civilian.

He is listed on the 1917 Roll of Honour and on the appendix to the Roll of Honour of Henry & Leigh Slater Ltd as one of the men who attested under the Group System.

Private GORDON AUDLEY STEWART A Company 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers 41197 was born 1898 at Bollington and baptised 13 Nov 1898 at St John’s. He lived at Beeston Mount in 1901 and was a schoolboy in 1911, living at 7 Beeston Mount. He was a member of the choir at St John’s. Later he worked at Ingersley Vale bleachworks. He enlisted at Macclesfield, died on the second day of the Battle of Cambrai 21 November 1917 aged 19 and was buried at Marcoing British Cemetery near Cambrai, France. His family lived at Rock Cottage in 1917. MORE

He is commemorated on the memorials at Bollington and St Oswald’s and on the Stewart grave at St John’s [plot 1905].

He is listed on the 1917 Roll of Honour.

HEDLEY STEWART

GORDON AUDLEY STEWART

NORMAN STEWART (Aug 1936)
with daughter Beryl

The Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) in WW1
Within ten days of the declaration of war, the YMCA had established no fewer than 250 recreation centres in the United Kingdom, providing a cup of tea, sandwiches or other refreshments, perhaps some reading materials. Many of these centres were at or near railway stations or other places where large numbers of troops would be passing.
In November 1914, the first YMCA contingent went to France and organised similar centres at Le Havre. Later, they were also in operation at Rouen, Boulogne, Dieppe, Etaples and Calais (the principal army bases), Abbeville, Dunkirk, Abancourt (railway junction), Paris and Marseilles. Eventually there were numerous such centres in each of the places mentioned, and another three hundred along the lines of communication. Vast quantities of refreshments were served out to troops on the move.
On 30 June 1915, YMCA received permission to establish a centre within the area of army operations. It opened a centre at Aire, then the location of HQ of First Army. By the end of the year, small centres were in hundreds of places close to the front.
The YMCA staff was largely voluntary; mostly female but with some male staff who were over military age or below the medical requirements for active service. At any time, some 1500 YMCA workers were in France and Flanders alone.
June 1915 saw the YMCA open a hostel in France for the use of relatives, visiting dangerously ill men. A YMCA car met the visitors at the port and took them to see their soldier relative. There were in the region of 100-150 such visitors each day.

Notes:

Please note that MOST (about 60%) of WW1 army service records did not survive the London blitz of WW2. If (and only if) soldiers served overseas they would have received campaign medals - campaign medal rolls and index cards have generally survived, but only show brief key details. If a soldier served overseas before the end of 1915, the index card shows the date of first arrival in a theatre of war. If there is no date on the card, the soldier first served after the end of 1915. In many cases this is all that is known about a soldier's service.

As a general rule in these short histories, details of campaign medals awarded are NOT included unless there is something of particular interest. See the section on Medals for an explanation of how soldiers qualified for the various campaign medals.

Unless otherwise stated, addresses are in Bollington, near Macclesfield. St John's was the local Anglican church, and St Gregory's was the local Roman Catholic church. (Neither church is still in use, replaced by St Oswald's and the new St Gregory's respectively. However, each of the former churches has its own burial ground.) The Wesleyan Methodist chapel is on Wellington Road opposite St Gregory's, but is not currently in use. The Primitive Methodist church (now demolished) was on High Street and the Methodist New Connexion chapel (now demolished) was on Grimshaw Lane. The Congregationalist chapel was at the bottom end of Palmerston Street; part of the building still stands and is now used as offices.

In some cases, details of army organisation, battalion movements, etc have been extracted from The Long, Long Trail website.

If you can provide additional information about any of the soldiers, please contact the Webmaster (stoswaldbollington@gmail.com).

WarMemFooter Last modified: 07 October 2020