Private LEONARD HAIGH Army Service Corps M2/194141 was born 19 October 1880 at Prestwich, the son of Charles Henry Haigh and Alice Clara (formerly Paley) and was baptised at Prestwich 10 December 1880. He lived at Wilton Terrace, Prestwich in 1881, was at boarding school in Southport in 1891, visiting a family at Burnage Lane, Burnage in 1901, and was a cotton spinner visiting another family at Wood Lane Timperley in 1911. He married Eudora Mason 6 June 1912 at Timperley. He was a former England International Rugby player but developed double pneumonia while undergoing officer training at Woolwich and died 6 August 1916 aged 35. He was buried at Pott Shrigley. His brother Charles Henry was living at Orchard House in 1918. MORE
He is commemorated on the memorials at Bollington and St Oswald’s.
He is listed among the “fallen at the post of duty” on the 1917 Roll of Honour. He is listed on the appendix to the Roll of Honour of Thomas Oliver & Sons (Bollington) Ltd as one of the men who attested under the Group System.
His son JOHN GUY LEONARD HAIGH was born 1913. He was a Pilot Officer in the RAF in WW2. He died during flying training 20 October 1939 and is buried with his father at Pott Shrigley. MORE
It is (not surprisingly) unusual to find a Commonwealth War Graves Commission grave marker bearing two names.
Please note that MOST (about 60%) of WW1 army service records did not survive the London blitz of WW2. If (and only if) soldiers served overseas they would have received campaign medals - campaign medal rolls and index cards have generally survived, but only show brief key details. If a soldier served overseas before the end of 1915, the index card shows the date of first arrival in a theatre of war. If there is no date on the card, the soldier first served after the end of 1915. In many cases this is all that is known about a soldier's service.
As a general rule in these short histories, details of campaign medals awarded are NOT included unless there is something of particular interest. See the section on Medals for an explanation of how soldiers qualified for the various campaign medals.
Unless otherwise stated, addresses are in Bollington, near Macclesfield. St John's was the local Anglican church, and St Gregory's was the local Roman Catholic church. (Neither church is still in use, replaced by St Oswald's and the new St Gregory's respectively. However, each of the former churches has its own burial ground.) The Wesleyan Methodist chapel is on Wellington Road opposite St Gregory's, but is not currently in use. The Primitive Methodist church (now demolished) was on High Street and the Methodist New Connexion chapel (now demolished) was on Grimshaw Lane. The Congregationalist chapel was at the bottom end of Palmerston Street; part of the building still stands and is now used as offices.
In some cases, details of army organisation, battalion movements, etc have been extracted from The Long, Long Trail website.
If you can provide additional information about any of the soldiers, please contact the Webmaster (firstname.lastname@example.org).